Hello everyone, this is Arpit Rana and today, I am going to tell you about the success story of a company which makes almost everything. You may know them for tractors, SUV, 2 wheelers, airplanes, defense vehicles, etc. and are also in the travel and tourism business. Apart from that, Mahindra is also one of the investors in Kotak Mahindra bank.
If I tell you that they own one of the world’s largest companies in the world, then?
So, here is the list of companies they own-
- Mahindra First Choice Services
- Mahindra First Choice Wheels
- Mahindra Agribusiness Division
- EPC Mahindra
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Mahindra Truck & Bus
- Mahindra Reva
- SsangYong Motors
- Mahindra Two Wheelers
- Automobili Pininfarina
- Peugeot Motocycles
- Jawa Motocycles
- Engines Engineering
- Mahindra Castings
- Mahindra Composites
- Mahindra Engineering
- Mahindra Gears and Transmissions
- Mahindra Forgings
- Mahindra Hinoday Ltd
- Mahindra Intertrade
- Mahindra Sona Ltd.
- Mahindra Steel Service Centre
- Mahindra Systech
- Mahindra Ugine Steel
- Metalcastello S.p.A
- Mahindra Integrated Business Solutions
- Mahindra Consulting Engineers
- Mahindra Logisoft
- Mahindra Special Services Group
- Mahindra & Mahindra – Military Defence Division
- Defence Land Systems
- Mahindra & Mahindra – Energy Division
- Mahindra Solar One
- Mahindra Susten Pvt. Ltd., formerly (Mahindra EPC Services Pvt. Ltd.)
- Farm Equipment
- Mahindra & Mahindra – Farm Equipment Division
- Mahindra USA Inc
- Mahindra Yueda (Yancheng) Tractor Co
- Mahindra Tractors
- Erkunt Tractor
- Gromax Agri Equipment Ltd. (erstwhile Mahindra Gujarat Tractor Ltd)
- Mahindra Swaraj
- Jiangling Tractors
- Financial Services
- Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services Limited
- Mahindra Insurance Brokers
- Mahindra Rural Housing Finance
- Mahindra Mutual Fund
- Industrial Equipment
- Mahindra Conveyor Systems
- Information Technology
- Mahindra Logistics
- Smart Shift
- Luxury Boats
- Mahindra Marine Private Limited
- M2ALL – Official Mahindra e-store
- Real Estate
- Mahindra Retail
So, tired of reading so many companies? What Mahindra actually did to be in this level?
Story of Mahindra and Mahindra
The starting of Mahindra is linked with another massive company of India Tata. The founder Mahindra of Mahindra and Mahindra was once doing a job in Tata Steel. From there he got an idea to set up his own steel company and from there Mahindra’s journey started.
Mahindra and Mahindra were not Mahindra and Mahindra in starting, actually, M&M was renamed to Mahindra and Mahindra. It was Mahindra & Muhammad in 1945 when the company started. The present chairman Mr. Anand Mahindra is actually the grandson of JC Mahindra.
What happened to Mahindra & Muhammad?
Actually, the company was founded by three people, Mahindra brothers, and Malik Ghulam Muhammad. The name of two Mahindra brothers is – Jagdish Chandra Mahindra and Kailash Chandra Mahindra. Better known as- JC Mahindra and KC Mahindra. After partition and Pakistan formed, Malik Ghulam Muhammad left India and went to Pakistan and become first finance minister there. After it, Mahindra brothers expanded the Mahindra from a small steel company to a company who makes almost everything. They also renamed the company to its present name- Mahindra and Mahindra.
Today, Mahindra and Mahindra is the biggest tractor manufacturer in the world. Their brand Pininfarina’s Battista is the world’s first all-electric hypercar. They are one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the world. In India there SUV’s are ruling the market from decades. They are only Indian team in Formula E.
So, what we can learn from Mahindra and Mahindra-
- Expansion- The biggest chapter of Mahindra story is expansion, they make everything. They always try to expand from bolero to Scorpio, XUV 500 to XUV 300, tractors to trucks, hotels to planes, etc. Mahindra is about expanding, even as they name themselves “rise”.
- Investment- Mahindra is one of the best investor in the world, everything in which he invested that grown. If I say one simple thing, Poor people spend money, Middle class saves money and rich people invest money.
- Adaptation- Mahindra brings Steel when needed, they brought SUV when needed, then they brought tractors when needed and now hypercars. They just manage to adapt to change in the market way faster than many other car manufacturers.
- Do More- When Malik Ghulam left India and Mahindra, there were options for Mahindra brothers to simply quit and enjoy the money they have but what they did? They expand the M&M like never before.
That’s all if somebody from Mahindra is reading it. Thanks for being an inspiration for us.